Physical Literacy Consensus Statement:
In recent years, various stakeholders have engaged in activities to promote and develop physical literacy. Excitement around the concept has also led to a variety of definitions. In a broad consultation, sector leaders in Canada suggested that a common definition with consistent language was needed to provide clarity for the development of policy, practice and research.
The purpose of this Statement is to:
- promote the value of physical literacy and preserve the integrity of the concept
- advocate for the use of a common definition of physical literacy, as defined by the International Physical Literacy Association
- facilitate alignment within and between the multiple sectors in the physical literacy community
- improve the consistency and clarity of communications relating to physical literacy
- inform the consistent and co-ordinated development of physical literacy tools and resources created by various stakeholders.
Physical Literacy Definition:
Physical literacy is the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life
-International Physical Literacy Association, May, 2014
Click Here to view the full document.